Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What Books Would YOU Buy?

What's going on? Wednesdays are usually sacrosant for "Craft Book." So why is this noble blog rabbiting on about consumerism and the lure of filthy lucre?

Simple.

1) I have been so busy reading The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt (see my post on my new baby blog, Middle Grade Mafioso for details) that my craft book for this month has gone by the wayside.

2) I've come into a bit of Amazon money, $50 to be precise. Add this to the $20 I found stuffed in a birthday card from last year, and I am poised to storm the Amazon citadel and go hot-diggety wild in the book lounge.


PARADISE

Question: If you were me, and had 70 smackeroos to spend on books, books, books what would you buy? (Yes, I know Amazon has toys, games, kindles, soy flour etc. to sell, but books are my addiction.)

9 comments:

  1. OMG! I've no idea where I'd start. Maybe a John Irving.

    I kind of went off Paul Auster a few years ago when he got too repetitive, but I'm prepared to give him another go.

    Something dark and murderous.

    A classic or two that I've missed.

    Something good and funny.

    A beautifully illustrated version of one of my all-time loves. (Wind in the Willows, probably!)

    I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most recent craft book I read was Story Engineering by Larry Brooks. The discussion of story structure was particularly valuable.

    Two recent prize winners I enjoyed:

    A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

    Zoo City by Lauren Beukes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have not read The Elegance of the Hedgehog, this is the time to get your own copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know but I'd love to have the opportunity. Perhaps I'd buy some graphic novels and some children's books and biographies, history - I don't know.
    Enjoy yourself - I'm sure you will:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also recently got some amazon money. I've been spending it slowly on books that were on my Kindle wish list. But I'm trying to spend it slowly so it lasts. I have Possession by Elana Johnson on my list, Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MorningAJ: I love John Irving too.

    Thanks Hector and Rosaria: the titles are either read or on the list.

    Jabblog: I most certainly shall enjoy myself.

    Carrie: Oooh, Possession! That's a good idea.

    Keep the titles coming, folks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always go with a classic to own... (IE.I have every book of Jane Austen)

    ReplyDelete
  8. $70? Lucky you. Emm...I would buy a of the few Science Fiction Masterworks books that I haven't got yet!

    Enjoy your selection!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great question! The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender was on my Christmas list and I still want it. Something by Lauren Kessler, who I am excited to read, since she's an Oregonian and narrative nonfiction expert. And I'd splurge on a book about poisonings in the Victorian era that I've been coveting... for research... really.

    ReplyDelete

If comments be the food of love, comment on. Give me excess of them... (With apologies to The Bard)