Monday, February 13, 2012

Origins Blogfest: I was a 4th Grade Writer





1972. I was in Mrs. Benz's 4th grade class at the Intercommunity School of Zurich. Mrs. Benz was a tough teacher, and we learned a heckuva lot that year. One thing I really wanted to do was write a story that she would think worthy of inclusion in the school magazine, because Mrs. Benz didn't let any old flotsam and jetsam represent her classroom.

I wrote what I thought was a great tale, of three girls wandering into a haunted house. Mrs. Benz got out her editorial pen. I went back and rewrote. This happened a couple more times. Finally, I passed muster. The piece was sent off to the magazine. But now I had to hold my breath. Would it be included?

I remember when the magazine came out. Shiny white paper. Flags of the nations on the front. And there, on page 43, with the unassuming title--"A Story"--was the first published piece by 9 year-old Michael Gilmartin.

40 years on, I still have my copy.  I see I was very keen on adjectives. (The final line reads: "They broke into a run and never came back to the old, grimy, smelly, romantic house.") I also used words like picturesque, eiderdown, cobwebby,  and luxuriously.

That first sight of my words in print, my byline, meant there was no going back. I don't think I thought I was going to be a writer, any more than I thought I was going to be an astronaut--but I realized I loved to write, and loved the thought of others reading my words. That feeling has never left me, even though my decision to try and make writing a career came almost 20 years later. That dream, born from the first dream, lives on.

The Origins Blogfest is the brainchild of DL Hammons, who along with Katie, and Alex, and Matt are co-hosts for the blogfest. For the list of all participants, just click on  Origins Blogfest!

22 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you had a dream to be published in 4th grade and were willing to revise and revise before it was sent out. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe, love this! Especially the last sentence of the story that was sent in. too funny! And how great that you had a teacher willing to help. Thanks for sharing your origins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another self-directed child. Can you tell I'm somewhat jealous? Anyone who uses words like picturesque and eiderdown at age 9 should be a writer.

    Nice to meet you. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eiderdown? Is that an English word? Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's where it all began, eh? And now you are well on your way to making the dream explode! How cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story, Thank you so much for sharing, even if you did make the rest of us feel inadequate. (Just kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amusing to read things I wrote so long ago. This was a fun story on a fun blog.
    I'm a new follower.
    Cheers,
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, and I want to see the story for myself. You need to read this post (and the story itself) to the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was big on ghost stories, too. I won a contest with a story called "The Ghost of the Mary Ellen." That was about a haunted boat, where the ghost was really a stowaway.

    I'll bet it had a lot of adjectives, too. And adverbs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story--and great teacher, for helping you edit it into print! Yes, those adjectives can be quite dazzling sometimes. Nice to meet you via the fest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful affirmation of a talent in development at such an early age! Good for you. Thank you for sharing your ORIGIN today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm...I wrote my first real short story in 4th grade too. Except it wasn't published.

    You're a step ahead of me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seeing your name in print certainly is magic, isn't it? Roland

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love that final sentence! I'm so glad you hear you still have the magazine. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to meet you on this blogfest.I love how you already knew the value of revision and editing at such a young age :)

    your newest follower,
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. lol you have an odd sense of what is romantic!!!!

    I'm impressed with the big words. I was in university by the time I used them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have a copy of my first 'serious' story from 9th grade as well as all my teacher's red-pen comments. I treasure them still :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'A Story'.

    Michael, that is beautiful! You're adjectives are wonderfully brilliant for a nine year old! Write on!

    It's good to finally get round to your spot! Hope to see more of you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too am keen on your adjectives. And the fact that, to a 9-year-old boy, a house can be both smelly and romantic at the same time! Great last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! nice thank you freind for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how your teacher was able to keep you at it until your work passed muster. Next to learning how to write, learning how to take and use critiques must be the most valuable lesson a writer can learn.

    ReplyDelete

If comments be the food of love, comment on. Give me excess of them... (With apologies to The Bard)