Friday, February 5, 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog....

That actually hasn't been the question. I'm usually far behind the times, slightly curmudgeonly about new-fangled electronic gadgetry, and averse to such "fads" as Facebook. Twitter makes me totally twitchy.

I also usually disdain anything with a whiff of "popularity" about it. (Too bad, Twilight. Adieu, Avatar.)

Add to that, I live with an uber-blogger, and so have been quite happy to stay silent while she entertains her blogging muse.

Until now. You see, blogging is becoming passe. Which means I'm on it like a hornet to a hot dog.

Yesterday, my local paper, The Oregonian, featured a piece on the front page by Martha Irvine of The Associated Press headlined: "A new age in blogging: 30 and up." (I'm part of the "and up.") A study has shown that long-form blogging has lost its appeal for younger types who are leaping like lemmings to Facebook and Twitter. Irvine ends her first paragraph with: "Tech experts say it doesn't mean blogging is going away. Rather it's going the way of the telephone and e-mail--still useful, just not sexy."

So, that's the motto, Dangerous Writers of a Certain Age: Still Useful, Just Not Sexy.

I've got the t-shirt on order.

4 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME! I look forward to getting inspiration for my own writing by following your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm not even so sure about the "useful" part...

    you inspire me, Mike... maybe our blog paths will cross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh... and i'll take one of those tee-shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading and commenting, Marie and Karina. I've had a number of t-shirt requests--but I might fall afoul of copyright laws...

    ReplyDelete

If comments be the food of love, comment on. Give me excess of them... (With apologies to The Bard)